Safe Mercury Removal
Lilly Family Dentistry follows the strict safe mercury removal protocol designed by the IAOMT.
Is there a concern about the use of mercury in dentistry?
Many people do not realize that “silver” amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. A large filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer. Mercury vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Inhaled mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream. The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person’s body than all other sources of mercury combined. Mercury is a powerful poison. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered harmless, especially considering its cumulative effect.
Should I have my mercury fillings removed?
Replacing functional, clinically acceptable mercury “silver” fillings is a personal choice. We suggest you research the science involved to make an informed choice.
The IAOMT believes you should eliminate these fillings unless you are pregnant or lactating. Mercury vapor is continuously emitted from dental fillings and accumulates in the body over time. The damaging effects of this exposure may not manifest for years or even decades. Studies repeatedly demonstrate that even low levels of mercury cause measurable adverse health effects.
Is there a proper way to remove mercury fillings?
Yes. Our office reduces risks by utilizing the following protocols:
- Patients wear a nasal hood & breathe oxygen during the procedure (essential when mercury fillings are removed or replaced).
- High-speed suction, room ventilation and filtration are used to help in assuring mercury vapor is properly eliminated.
Schedule An Appointment